Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Coupon Thoughts

Coupon Lessons

Some things I've learned by making "coupon mistakes" in the past couple months:

-When doing the "Buy 10, get 1 free" count your 10 items SEVERAL TIMES (double checking with the flyer to make sure they are the right items).

-Unfold all coupons completely to make sure they are not for a certain store (unless your store accepts competitors coupons).

-I have started to split up "multiples" of the same coupon in the pile of coupons. I find less coupons get missed that way and coupons don't accidently stick together.

-Self checkouts are not ideal for a pile of coupons. Not at Kroger or Meijer.

-Double check expiration dates right before checking out. I've been known to miss a few by adding them to my pile at the last minute.

So that's what I've learned. Hope you find it useful!

Ethical Couponing?

This is something that's been on my heart for a while now. As I've entered the "world of frugality", and started using more coupons, I've become more aware that this issue of "ethical couponing" even existed. When I look at some of the bargains that people are able to get, I sometimes wonder how they did it. Many of these people honestly matched coupons with incredibly good deals and came by the bargain honestly. But let's face it - there are ways to be un-ethical with your coupons, and get away with it. And so I've been forced to re-evaluate some of the ways I look at couponing. These are some of the questions I've asked myself:

-Should I use a coupon for something other than what it specifically is labeled for, even if I know it will go through?

-Should I hope that a store doubles a coupon even if it says "do not double"

-Should I be stacking my e-coupons and my paper coupons? See here for more information.

-Should I ask the clerk to do something dishonest with my coupons/saving, or let them if they would like to "help me out"? (i.e. use an extra coupon)


As I contemplate these questions, I just have to come back to the fact that we have a Righteous God. And while He lavishes with His Grace; He expects us to live and move towards Holiness with each breath. And so, if I recognize that these actions are not Glorifying, then I sadden Him with my "great bargaining". I would much rather praise Him with my "almost as great bargaining"!

I would simply encourage you to examine your actions as you "coupon" this week.

May you find it a Holy action!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog and your coupon tips are great!!! I'm trying to save for another adoption/fertility treatments (not sure which just yet) and I'm experimenting with coupons but I always forget to use most of them and realize it after checking out!! Shheeesssh!

    ReplyDelete